Thursday, May 8, 2014

Cathecism

     When I was 6 up until the age of 14, I had one week to learn selected Bible verses, parts of the Catechism, and songs in whole or part, and recite them at church on Sunday (usually in German) - "Gedichte" we called them. Like any other child, I wasn't too happy about that. 
     Now that my younger sisters Confirmation is quite near, I have been reviewing the Catechism for the Prüfung(examination) where all the youth over 14, young adults, and the ones that are getting confirmed will recite the books of the Bible, the church year, and the Catechism. Now, I am so glad that I learned it; I realize how good it actually is.
     The 5 main parts consist of the 10 Commandments, the Glaubensbekenntnis(Confession of Faith), the Lord's Prayer, the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, and the Sakrament of the Altar or the Lord's Supper and it gives an explanation of each. Because I learned them over and over when I was younger, I have the whole thing memorized, though in German (I did learn it in English, but only once through).
     For those of you who haven't read it or thought about it very much, it has a lot of good things to think on. For those you who don't particularily like memorization, it is good for your mind and will help you in school and lots of other things when you are older. Don't despise your parents for making you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments. I enjoy reading them. Thank you. :) It may take a while to show the comments, as I have comment moderation.